Remodeling your home can be costly and time consuming. Generally, remodeling is done to boost the value of a home (for example, a small kitchen remodel has been found to return 82% of the remodeling investment via boosting the value of the home). However, not all remodeling projects are just because — about 36% of them come about because of property damage repairs. Plumbing problems can be one of the most damaging, expensive problems to fix in your home. There are a few simple tips and tricks you can do at home to help maintain the system and avoid calling professional plumbing services. Read on for some easy plumbing tips to save money.
- Make sure your faucets are not dripping. Check under the sink for leaks.
- High efficiency toilets are in high demand because they save on your water bill. About 91% of people planning a home remodel said they were planning on installing this type of toilet, in a recent Houzz survey.
- All of the drains in your home should be fitted with strainers to prevent clogging
- Adding a few drops of food coloring to the toilet tank can identify a leak- if the color from the tank appears in the bowl in less than an hour, your toilet is leaking.
- If your toilet is not flushing properly, you should look into replacing worn parts to save money on your water bill.
- Make sure the temperature on your water heater is no higher than 120 degrees to save energy and save your family from hot water burns.
- Drain cleaning should be done periodically on slow moving drains and infrequently used ones, especially floor drains, to make sure they can carry water away in the event of an overflow.
- Check all yard drains, gutters, and downspouts for obstructions.
While these plumbing tips to save money might seem like common sense, there are so many more proactive plumbing solutions that your local professional plumber can help you with. Feel free to leave feedback in the comments!