When it comes to kitchen remodeling, planning is necessary to avoid any surprises and costly pitfalls. If you’re taking on a kitchen remodeling project, whether a few cosmetic adjustments or a complete renovation, working with an experienced kitchen remodeling contractor will make the kitchen of your dreams a reality.
Making and Sticking to a Budget
Creating a realistic budget will ensure you get the most out of your remodel without exceeding any set financial limits.
- Setting an overall budget should be done before any other preparation, including choosing finishes and fixtures, to ensure that the cost of materials remains manageable.
- Make sure to allow for at least a 10-20% increase in budget and factor in the cost of any unexpected expenses that can come up during the renovation.
- It’s wise to prioritize your spending and consider how much you must allocate to each category: electrical, plumbing, cabinetry and countertops, appliances, and installation costs.
- A reputable contractor can often get better material prices and pass savings on to you. You can end up with extra money to spend on upgrades you hadn’t thought possible or choose to save the extra cash in case of an unexpected expense.
Plan for the Unexpected
Unexpected expenses can come about during a kitchen remodeling project. Be sure to include a little cushion in your budget for unforeseen costs. Some common unplanned issues include the following:
- As you remove the old cabinets, you may discover damaged walls that need repairing and were not initially planned for in your budget.
- You may also find that the wiring in the walls needs to be updated to current electrical codes and needs to be replaced as well.
- When installing a new sink, you may uncover unseen issues with your existing plumbing, which could also lead to additional costs.
- After removing old flooring, areas that need to be repaired or replaced may be visible. Be sure to include a little cushion in your budget for these unexpected costs.
Designing your Kitchen Layout
Designing your kitchen layout is a crucial step in the remodeling process. Once you have set your budget, decide if changing your kitchen layout is possible without breaking the bank.
- If your current kitchen isn’t working well for your family’s lifestyle, it could be worth redesigning the space and cutting back on other features.
- Adding a kitchen island, breakfast bar, or a built-in workspace for homework or craft projects can be great for larger families with hectic schedules.
- Creating a list of pros and cons about your current layout could help determine if you need to consider other options.
The most common kitchen layouts are an L-shaped, a galley kitchen, and a U-shaped configuration. Planning to create a harmonious balance between function and aesthetics can help you avoid surprises later on. You should also be aware of some of the common pitfalls that can occur when laying out your kitchen.
- Allow for enough countertop space for food preparation and storage of cookware and utensils.
- Consider if you’ll need additional seating for meals or entertaining guests.
- Unbalanced traffic flow through the room creates congestion and frustration when more than one person uses the area.
- Overly elaborate designs can become cluttered and hard to work in.
- Ensure you plan enough space when the doors of refrigerators, ovens, microwaves, and dishwashers are open.
- Ensure proper placement of outlets for electric appliances and plentiful outlets along the countertop work area.
Selecting materials is one of the most important steps in kitchen remodeling. Deciding what type of countertops, cabinetry, backsplashes, appliances, and flooring you want can be challenging. With the large number of styles and materials available homeowners can find it time-consuming and difficult. Before making a decision, homeowners should carefully consider:
- Making the best use of their budget.
- What quality is available within their price range.
- Whether a particular material fits into the overall style of their kitchen.
Working with an expert in kitchen remodeling gives you the benefit of their knowledge and expertise in selecting the best materials to fit your needs and budget.
Ensuring you have all the proper measurements you need before shopping is another challenge for homeowners without the training and knowledge to take correct measurements.
- Having a professional contractor take these measurements is a wise idea so you know everything will be accurate.
- Unexpected costs can arise when inaccurate measurements result in appliances not fitting or incorrect amounts of materials, such as countertops and flooring, being ordered.
- The additional expense and frustrating delays can be avoided by having measurements taken by experts in kitchen remodeling.
Remember the Details
Planning out every detail of your remodel before getting started can help reduce the budget in the long run. Unexpected delays can set you back a few weeks or more.
- Select the exact colors and styles you want with all aspects of your new kitchen as early as possible.
- Be sure to consider the small details, such as hardware for cabinetry, grout colors for the floor when tiles are installed, and even the backsplash material you want to choose.
Taking the time to think about what you want in your kitchen and how you need it to function best for your lifestyle will give you a plan for a smoother remodel process. Hiring a reputable local kitchen contractor will also ensure that the details are covered and that your dream kitchen will be a reality for your next family gathering.
Call R. A. Guinner for Your Next Remodeling Project
When you’re ready to change, upgrade, or improve your kitchen, R.A. Guinner Plumbing Company can help. We’ll help you create the custom look you want. We provide complete remodeling services and guide our clients through every step of a project.
Our company is family-owned and operated, and we pride ourselves on “top-of-the-line” service. All our plumbers are licensed, bonded, and insured for your protection. No project is too big or too small for us to handle, and we always hold ourselves to the highest standards to ensure you are completely satisfied with the results. Call us today at 314-752-9850 or contact us online to schedule an appointment.